quinebaug valley community college

Disability Services

Quinebaug Valley Community College is committed to the goal of achieving equal educational opportunity and full participation for individuals with disabilities. Students who wish to disclose a disability are encouraged to do so as early as possible. If you choose to disclose your disability, or if you wish to request academic adjustments, please do the following:

Disclose and Discuss Academic Adjustments with a Disabilities Service Provider

  1. Submit a QVCC Self Disclosure Form for Students with Disabilities in a sealed envelope to the Student Affairs Office (room C151). A Release of Disability Information Form may be used in order for your high school to furnish disability documentation. Include a copy of your disability documentation with the self disclosure form, if you have it. After submitting the completed Self-Disclosure Form, you will be contacted by one of the college’s Disabilities Service Providers with instructions for requesting academic adjustments.
  2. Meet with a Disabilities Service Provider and provide documentation of your disability. The college makes reasonable academic adjustments for students with disabilities that are supported with appropriate documentation. Discuss the academic adjustments you may wish to request. This should be done after you have registered for classes, and at least several weeks before classes begin.

Implement Academic Adjustments

  1. Once the Academic adjustments have been determined, you will be provided with an academic adjustment authorization memo for you to give to each of your instructors. Deliver it and discuss your academic adjustments, and make whatever arrangements that may be necessary with each instructor.
  2. Throughout the semester, contact a Disabilities Services Provider every two to three weeks to provide updates on your academic progress, or more often if you have questions or concerns.

After registering for the next semester, contact a Disabilities Services Provider as soon as possible to obtain academic adjustment authorization memos for the following semester.

Get Started Early!

It is a student’s responsibility to request particular academic adjustments and provide appropriate documentation in a timely manner. Generally, three weeks advance notice is sufficient, although some types of academic adjustment may require more advance notice (for example a student who may require sign language interpreting services should provide at least six weeks notice – preferably more – to enable timely scheduling of interpreters).

If a request for academic adjustments is submitted with less than three weeks advance notice, the college will make a reasonable attempt to meet the request, but cannot guarantee that the request will be met without delay or substitution.

For more information:

  1. Read How Will College be Different from High School for Students with Disabilities?
  2. Read QVCC Suggested Procedures
  3. Read Defining Reasonable Academic Adjustments
  4. Please contact a Disabilities Services Provider