Find Print Books
- Books at Connecticut Public Libraries
Get Started with Background Research.
- Credo Reference – 790+ e-reference books in all subject areas. Use instead of Wikipedia for quick information.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library – 300+ e-reference books in all subject areas. Use instead of Wikipedia for longer reference articles.
- Encyclopedia Britannica – The complete Encyclopaedia Britannica, including news and multimedia. Updated daily.
- Oxford Reference Library
Add Depth and Breadth with Academic Books
- Ebook Central (formerly Ebrary) – 280,000+ academic ebooks in all subject areas.
- Ebsco eBooks – 160,000+ academic ebooks in all subject areas, from EbscoHost.
- Quick Guide to Downloading Ebooks
Consider Primary Source Documents
- Britannica’s Original Sources – Primary source documents in a wide range of subject areas.
Find E-Books on the Internet
- Internet Archive’s Open Library of 10,000 public domain books, most from the 20th century.
- Bartleby.com Public domain books in a range of subject areas.
- Project Gutenberg – 45,000+ public domain books in a range of subject areas.
- World Factbook – Information about 267 world governments. Published by the CIA.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook – Career information from the Department of Labor.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States – U.S. statistics in all areas. Note: this government publication ceased online publication effective 10/1/11. Current Statistical Abstracts are available in print in the library.